SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Keel for Coastal and Blue Water Cruising
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2001

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Best Keel for Coastal and Blue Water Cruising

Thanks for the info on new ones. I think that you have to get into the much higher end (and thus much more costly) boats to find construction quality of the type you mentioned. I don''t see that many of the standard production boats like Bene''s (forget the lesser boats) are built any better. I think all standard production boats have some flaws, its really a question of price and value (and of course I value my life greatly). I have read terrible things about older Morgans and read owners reviews of how they are bullet proof. Heard C&C Landfall''s called C&C Laughables and read owners reviews of how they love them. I cannot understand why Beneteau would use iron in their keels and think their pan contruction is no better than Catalina''s but they say they have made more Atlantic crossings than any other boat.

The comment about the Marlon sea cocks is especially instructive. Anyone buying any boat should replace all sea cocks with bronze one. A minor and very cheap fix. I did find that on the 1989 C 36 that I could easily reach all of them. I agree and did mention a concern about rudders being deeper than keels.

I think each of us has to become better educated and look very closely at the boat they are getting into. The comments here have added more to my list of things to research and look at when I look at a boat.

If I had an infinite amount of $$$, I would certainly buy a perfectly built custom boat. Since I don''t, I look at what I can compromise on for what I can get and what I want. As do we all. I guess that why Hunter can still sell boats :O) But hey, no boat bashing, we should all stick to firm objective info to help each other out.

I need a boat that is very good value and that anything truly wrong can be easily and inexpensively fixed.... and... I want a large comfortable interior as I will be spending a lot of time there.

D - Are there any reasonably priced boats of the construction you mention?

Thanks

John
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook