SailNet Community - View Single Post - Survey or Not???
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2007

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
I learned a long time ago that surveyors usually fall into two different camps. A buyer's surveyor would be the guy who is anal about everything right down to the sheaves at the mast head need lubrication. Then their's the Sellers surveyor, a guy that basically does a cursory look writes down a few things and tells you it a great boat. Gets his check and leaves. My first boat, The survey was 62 pages of issues and descriptions. it almost scared me off the boat. It took close to 8 hours for that survey. When I bought a trawler the survey took 3 hours including test run and and I got a "your getting a great boat here" (the boat sucked btw)

When selecting a surveyor it helps to ask around the marina and if at all possible see some samples of surveys that person has done so you can determine out what "camp" they fall into.

As a side note, when I sold my last sailboat, the buyer brought with him for the test sail two different surveyors and diesel mechanic and someone that couldn't swim. Halfway through the test sail the two surveyors were screaming at each other and at the mechanic each saying that the other had no clue. Surprisingly the buyer bought the boat.
2007 Hunter 49
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook