SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heading South on the ICW
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2002

coveexplorer is on a distinguished road
Heading South on the ICW

Thought I might as well let you in on my trip. (I''ve done the ICW a dozen or more times.)
Departed Pasadena MD late morning (never a good idea at this time of year), bounced my way down to Annapolis against foul tide and 17-knot southerly, anchored just at dark...
Got an early start (0700), enjoyed four hours of fair current and light wind (again, south), fueled up at Solomons MD just at dark, anchored nearby in the harbor.
Underway just before 0700 Thursday, wanting to get across the mouth of the Potomac and to Reedville VA, on the Great Wocomico River; nearly flat calm all day long (hallelujah!), anchored in Reedville at 1630....the rains came, as forecast....
Friday morning, thick fog....opened up by 0800, headed for Deltaville VA (no other choice, with the short day and a falling barometer)....light winds for half the day, osme sun, 55 degrees, building westerly after 1030, but fueled and anchored by 1400 (just 22 miles today), as the northwesterly piped up.....forecast to blow 25-30, tonight and tomorrow, so I''ll just hang here until Sunday early...
Sunday''s forecast is for sunny, high fifties, west wind at ten....sounds like a perfect recipe to make it to Hampton VA (40 miles), or even further into Norfolk harbor....
If you plan a trip like this at this time of the year, know that it''s very do-able, with good preparation; a heat source, a good cooking stove, shelter from the daily weather (I have a dodger; sitting just above the Diesel engine at times is decadent); a hot shower after a chilly day is divine; I have electric socks, but haven''t needed them yet; it could get colder in another week or so.....naturally, experience is valuable, but a good attitude (significantly laid back) is a huge asset....the advantages: very little traffic, quiet nights, no armada of small boats buzzing about; the scenery is beautiful and will be more so as I progress more to the south.....the sunrises and sunsets are delightful at this time of year......but....the days are short, the weather can change rapidly, os progress can be a bit slow....
I never tire of the Waterway....it''ll be a long time before I''ve seen it all....more later......
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook