SailNet Community - View Single Post - westsail 32
Thread: westsail 32
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2002

Nereus32 is an unknown quantity at this point
westsail 32

Hi Jeff_H

I''m not sure where you get your facts from, but I have never heard of a Westsail with concrete and steel ballast. Ballasts, whether all lead or lead and steel, were fiberglassed in place.

Also, Westsails came with three engine options, the Volvo MD2B (which is too small), Volvo MD3B (plenty adequate), or Perkins 4-108 (plenty hefty).

Crealock was commissioned by Larry Kendal to recreate the boat in fiberglass for cruising in a time when everyone (including Crealock) was building boats for racing. Kendal built 36 beautifly finished and stout boats with flushed decks. After he went under, the molds were purchased and Westsail Corporation began building boats with a new trunk cabin design that we all know of today as the Westsail 32.

Another point worth mentioning is modifications to the sail plan can greatly improve performance, even in lighter air. With a hull speed of just over 7 knots, it doesn''t take as much as one might think to get it up there and maintain it, no matter what the data sheet says. Agreeably, the more wind the better.

It is built like a tank and tough as nails, another fact a safety minded individual might be interested in.

For a boat that everyone likes to point out a worthless, there sure are a lot of people out there who love them. Many have been around the world. I don''t think those circumnavigators would have done it if it was as horrible boat as you make it out to be.

I question whether you have actually sailed one or if you are just interpreting the numbers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook