SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying Canned Goods
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007

SailorPam is on a distinguished road
One more idea - Dave & I pressure can our meat. There is an initial equipment investment for the canner & jars, and the time and effort that goes into the canning. That being said, we watch for good deals on cheaper cuts of meat, often taking advantage of the buy one get one free deals on big roasts. Or scout the "used meat" dept. as I call it. It's actually the meat that has reached it's sell by date or close to it. Then we swing by and pick up a bottle of wine and head home for a canning party.
The advantages are that we enjoy economical cuts that are made fork tender by the pressure canning, split into one meal portions that have less fat and no sodium as we just pack the jars with meat and water. That way we can season the meat for whatever we're making. I can make a killer beef stroganoff in less time than it takes to cook the noodles, chicken & dumplings in about the same time, or taco, burritos, stir-fry....
Next we're going to try fish. True, you have the issue of storing empty jars, but you made room for them when they were full, right? And they are recyclable!
BTW the process to can green beans is pretty darn easy...

One more point about stocking up is don't forget to date the goods, whether they are store bought or home canned.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook