SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bringing boat stuff over the border, Mexico customs
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2007

schwuller is on a distinguished road
a bit late! but i'll chime in here. i've loaded up my range rover and driven straight through mexico to belize (via baja, which involves more aduana (customs) inspections when you load the car onto the ferry at La Paz). this rover was packed to the gills, including a full safari roof system with hundreds of pounds of scuba gear etc up there. not once did anyone ever look inside them. to be fair, though, crossing into the usa from mexico, over....50 times over the years, no one from the US side has ever looked either. same crossing back and forth through canada. they have never even gotten out of the booth to peek into the back seat! anyhow, moving on: make sure you have a written list of what you have, and present a copy of this to the aduana people. the longer the list, the less time they time will spend reading it. you cannot sell a US licensed car in mexico. and, bringing the car into mexico requires a permit good for 6 months. you must clear the car out of mexico when you leave, thus closing a round-trip permit, proving you didn't sell the car in mexico. you get a complex hologram sticker for your window glass and some papers. you get this permit once you cross the border although i always get mine at a mexican consulate in advance because when i cross the border into mexico i like to get going. none of this is a big deal at all. i've done it scores of times.
1.temporary vehicle importation permit.
2.international driver's license (from AAA)
3.copy of california license (never give real license to police if they ask)
4.copy of passport (same deal). say the original is at the hotel safe.
5.can't sell a US car across the border.
6.can bring LOTS of stuff, but no guns, drugs, or over a certain amount of cash (this includes traveler's checks, too)
-john

Last edited by schwuller; 11-08-2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: type-o
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook