SailNet Community - View Single Post - westsail 32
Thread: westsail 32
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
westsail 32

As I have mentioned before, I had helped a fellow who was building one in the 1970''s. His had concrete and steel ballast. It was poured into the keel stub and was lightly glassed over. He also used conventional exterior plywood throughout the boat and skip tabbed bulkheads in with thickened polyester resins.

Yes I have sailed on them and have also seen gobs of them underway in a wide range of conditions. I have never seen one doing anything approaching 7 knots.

I don''t believe I ever said they were worthless, just useless as sailboats in light winds. I too agree that a lot of folks really love thier Westsail 32''s. While you are right that many have gone around the world, there has also been a lot of really junky boats that have sailed around the world as well.

As I started out my post, these are controversial boats. They obviously have thier fans and thier detractors. I am glad that you like yours. Every pot has its lid.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook