SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stepping Mast
Thread: Stepping Mast
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007

wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about wind_magic has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Next, the mast foot will generally be secured to the mast step.
I haven't done this part before. By "secure" there are bolts there ?

I've seen that the mast slips over a foot, so maybe that is what you mean is just that it is "secured" meaning that it is fitted down over the foot that sticks up. I understand the purpose here is to make sure the bottom of the mast can't slide on the deck and I guess the rigging just holds it hard against the deck so it can't jump up off of the foot. Maybe you mean more than that, I'm not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
With the crane still connected, but the mast sitting on the mast step, the stays and shrouds will then be connected. The order they're connected in doesn't really matter much IMHO.
Here is where I have more questions.

When you say "connected", how are they connected ? I guess the turnbuckle is connected to the cable somehow and then it is used to do the adjustment for tuning later in the process, but I don't understand this part of it at all. This is where the most fuzziness is in my mind, the part of the process I really don't understand at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
Once connected, the rig will be tightened until it is fairly taut—checking to make sure the mast is in proper alignment and centered. Final tensioning the rig depends a lot on what type of rig it is and how many shrouds/stays there are. In many cases, the crane is left connected until the rough tensioning job is done as a safety precaution, to prevent the mast from tipping over and causing any damage or injury.
I've edited out a lot of what you said and kind of focused in on the parts I am more curious about. I want to thank you for taking the time to write such a good description of the process, that is exactly the kind of information I can use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerregis
1. Three guys, including you
2. All the pins, turnbuckles and tools.
3. A crane to raise it; leave gin-pole etc to the future.
4. A loop with a long tail to reach the deck, under the spreaders.
5. Raise it carefully, ensuring all stays/shrouds are not tangled and vertical.
6. Attach uppers, then forestay, backstay and lowers.
7. Check for column, rake etc. Tighten, use Loos gauge if available
8. Put boom on, put all running rigging on. Check all halyards are true.
9. Bend the sails and let all sheets run. CHECK everything again.
10. Check everything again etc.
Step (4), "loop with a long tail to reach the deck", I don't understand that part. Is that to secure the bottom of the mast as it's raised so that you can guide it into place, or something else ?

Step (7), "Check for column, rake etc.", I am guessing you have to do this on land, or can it be done on the water ? And I am also guessing you are talking about using a level to check to make sure that it is vertical and lined up right, with like a piece of wood cut to whatever angle you want as a guide so that you can use a level.

Step (7), "use Loos gauge", I guess that is something that checks tension. Edit - Okay I just went and did a google search and I see how this Loos gauge works, you just kind of clip it over the cable and the tension moves what looks like a spring loaded piece to get the measurement.

Thanks for all this help!

I am going to get my rigging book out and see if I can figure out anything more, you guys have given me a good starting point. It would help if I knew more about rigging. At the moment it is all kind of mysterious, and I don't know anything about using the gauges to measure the tension, or even what the tension should be. Not knowing that means that the rigging is the subject of a lot of superstition on my part, and I am afraid to mess with it. But I want to know about it, I mean, I want to be able to do things with it myself and have that be a practical skill that I can actually use. I want to be able to do something like change out a bad component and be able to direct stepping and unstepping the mast, or even be able to do it. I don't want to have to depend on someone else to do those things because then I won't have any control on my own boat.

Please support my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wind_magic; 11-09-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook