SailNet Community - View Single Post - Message in a bottle
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2002

Jade Sky is on a distinguished road
Message in a bottle

Hello Stede,

Funny you could have been describing me and my husband. We both have sailing and cruising on the brain. It is our focus and goal to start living the cruising lifestyle within the next 2 years. I have heard that its important whether you are ready or not to set a date and all else will follow.

Our situation is the same even though you are a bit ahead of us. We''re in our late 30''s, planning to cut out in the midst of our most productive earning years, and we are definitely not wealthy. Our concerns are how to support ourselves in our older years without having to get back into the dreaded career thing again.Just want to have it be a choice not a requirement. Live in a 3rd world country? Will our measly savings and investments create enough income. How much do you really need to "retire" early etc. The costs of the cruising lifestyle I''ve heard, are fairly inexexpensive compared to land life in So Cal.

So, question to those who know given the costs of living cruising style, which I think would be similar to land life in some 2nd & 3rd world countries, how much cash reserves would be realistic to plan on for the future? Is this even a question that can be answered?

Thanks to all who share their input. I do think its a sailor thing by the way. People are so generous with their knowledge. Hopefully one day I will have the experience to share as well.

Cheers,

Pamela

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook