SailNet Community - View Single Post - Shrink wrap around shrouds?
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
te,
I actually had intentions of working on the boat during the winter months when designing/building this behemoth. Projects like reefing/recaulking the teak decks, topsides compounding, polishing and waxing, teak stripping/refinishing, among other chores. The space is great for doing these things.

It seemed like a good plan, considering my house is just 5 minutes from the marina and we do go there often. In reality though, once I step under the cover - my enthusiasm for work escapes me . . . due to the cold.

So, I just crank up the Espar central forced warm air, diesel heater (exhaust vent is at the hull, beneath the toerail and cover edge), open up the hatches and pilothouse doors and after a few beers, it gets toasty warm. By that time though, I don't feel much like working and just crack open a few more beers. I ended up doing all the work in the Spring - when the cover came off. But you got me thinking about football though . . . I could move the 50" plasma to the boat for a superbowl party.

Max,
The first year, when these pictures were taken, I kept the halyards clipped to the mast's pad eyes. But subsequent years, to prevent halyard mast slap and minimize water leaks at the masts, I clipped the 4 headsail and main halyards to the furlex and group the mizzen halyards to a shroud. The shrinkwrapper then seals them with shinkwrap tape along with the other penetrations. The mizzen boom is laid on deck and lazyjack lines are wrapped around the masts, above the cover. The space stays surprisingly dry.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 11-09-2007 at 07:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook