SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stepping Mast
Thread: Stepping Mast
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007
I'm the FNG still...

Lancer28 is on a distinguished road
I can step our 35' lancer mast no problem. I don't see why it could be a huge issue at all. Two people can do it without heartache.

Going up? Attach your forestay and shrouds, not diagonals. If your mast steps from rear to forward, then attach your backstay

Halyard clips on to end of boom
Other end of halyard to cleat on mast after pulling tight.
Two guy wires going from the end of the boom to the shroud chainplates (center plates)
mainsheet attaches to boom where the halyard is clipped to
lower / raise slowly, we use a 8:1 with tons of line connected to a 6:1 vang with extra line on there to make sure it gets down wihtout running out.

If you use a crane, you need a bridle. Basically a 3' section of 3/4" line with bowlines on each end.
then set up the steps above.
Next loop the bridle around the forward (or rear, depending on which direction your mast goes) part of your mast, BELOW the spreaders.
IMPORTANT - the crane must have a heavy hook to get the gravity here on earth to pull it back down to you after you stand your mast.
Crank it up, then let it sit while you attach / detach your diagonals, back or forestay, and secure the pins.

IMPORTANT! make sure the head of the crane is directly centered over your boat's centerline! Also make it slightly aft of your mast foot / tabernackle if you're pulling the mast up or down from a forward stepping mast, or slightly forward of the foot if your mast steps or lays down to the rear

It can be done with two people no problem.

99999.99999% of the time, if you're stuck or need help, there are thousands of really nice boaters out there who would gladly give you help if you simply be polite and ask! I've had to be humble and ask my neighbor at the marina for a hand, and he brought three other guys just to cheerlead!

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lancer28; 11-09-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook