SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mast questions
Thread: Mast questions
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007

TIKI TIME is on a distinguished road
Mast questions

I am relatively new to sailing and have been learning as I go. Two years ago I bought a 1986 C&C 33. I had the boat moved to its current location via truck and the movers stepped the mast and had the boat rigged and in the water before I arrived at the docks.
I never gave too much thought to the rigging process and assumed they did everything properly, but as I read more about sailboats, I see several references to blocks or wedges used to center the mast where it comes throught the cabin top as well as where it is stepped on the keel.
My boat has two stainless steel "ears" (for lack of a better word) that attach to the mast on the inside of the cabin, right where the mast comes through. Does this replace the wedges? And there are no wedges or blocks where the mast sits on the step. Should I have wedges there?
There is a gap between the outside diameter of the mast, which of course is round and the inside diameter of the step, which is square. I have read that you can add wedges fore or aft of the mast at the step to add or remove mast rake.
I am not really concerned about the rake at this point, but the possibility of the mast shifting in the step. Is this something to be concerned about, or am I all confused?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tiki Time
C&C 33MKII
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook