SailNet Community - View Single Post - cape dory 30
Thread: cape dory 30
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2002

c172guy is on a distinguished road
cape dory 30

Thanks Andy; We bounced around the idea of cruising on a catalina 30 and most responders considered the Catalina not suitable for offshore work. I definately like the room in a Catalina 30. We were down at the coast last weekend in our sea kayaks. It was a humbling experience just thinking about being out there in the those conditions. Most of my experience is in lakes where you can always find a tight cove and an Oak tree to tie up to for the night. We were paddling around Sand Island which is just south of Dauphin island at the mouth of Mobile Bay. It is a big expanse of shoals. The wind was whipping up whitecaps. We couldn''t have paddled except that the wind was from shore so the waves were small. But I was thinking what would I do if I was sailing into Mobile Bay in these conditions?? When dreaming of sailing there are always "perfect Conditions". Then I do a reality check and remember the times I''ve seen the ocean in a not so friendly mood. I don''t need a boat to go around Cape Horn but I do want one that I can trust in conditions that I would reasonably expect to encounter. We also looked at a Tartan 30 but didn''t like the interior layout as much as the CD30.
Tom
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook