SailNet Community - View Single Post - Status Report
Thread: Status Report
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007

Shack is on a distinguished road
Status Report

To the friends I've made here lately - here's and update and a big THANKS for the encouragment and support. THANK YOU!!

The wife and I are into our first week living board (with our dog). Not only have we moved aboard but we have move states, new job, and moved the boat over 200 miles in the process after my return from deployment. I'm in the military and we timed this move aboard with a change of station. I'm burning leave before I check into work, and we are currently stocking our boat and getting our systems and communications on-line (in a home-like living status).

We just got back on internet with Verizon's BroadbandAccess. It's good to go! We get 800-1400 KBps. Appears just a a few seconds slower than Roadrunner Cable ISP for high volume down loads. No difference for web surfing. (Again, its GTG!). No shore connection needed, cell signal equals internet access! At $60 per month, I recommend it.
I am not nor is my spouse employed by Verison Wireless or any of their subsidieries

We just had some other liveaboards aboard for beer and snacks and to celebrate the Marine Corps Birthday! Now I sit here in a quiet warm cabin finishing my Guiness and listening to Irish drinking songs while the wife turned in early. More work tomorrow after church.

It has been stressful - all the changes. New city, new living environment, etc. New expectations. Some tense moments between me and the wife where expecations of time and priorities are concerned, but the lager helps. The most helpful are the people around me. I think that I have the most helpful group of liveaboards in the world around us that are assisting us to finish the last (and often most difficult) 10% of all the little challenges that pop up. Its been a great experience so far. Frustrations, concerns, bills, anxieties, etc... But in the greater proportion of it all - it has all been worth it. Its great to be finally living aboard!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook