SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Bermuda jumping off point

6K views 41 replies 16 participants last post by  SVAuspicious 
#1 ·
I may be heading out next year and don't have any plan/schedule other than head south to warmer weather (starting from NE USA). But I do want to go to Bermuda along the way. But I also really want to cruise more of the SE US instead of going to Bermuda and then just heading south to the islands.

So what would be a good jumping off place that would also be a good spot to return to in order to continue the US part of the cruise?

Or would it really be better to just sail south all the way to Key West and then backtrack "up" to Bermuda and then head south after toward the islands?

#6 ·
I haven't really spent any time looking at route yet (which is why I asked), but it wouldn't seem to me that Bermuda to Charleston would be a good route given the wind/Gulfstream considerations.

#8 ·
Don, if you have no plans you ca not acheive anything.

I think you should head down here and buy me some beers while I teach you a few facts of life, sonny.

BTW, from Bermuda heading directly to the Caribbean is a piece of cake as you are already at 65W.
You would need to be a Goose De-Lux to give up that easting to go to anywhere and then have to dig your butt upwind again. :eek:

The time to do Florida and the east coast is when you have the wind behind you, and the current behind you and that aint southbound.

#10 ·
Don, if you have no plans you ca not acheive anything.

I think you should head down here and buy me some beers while I teach you a few facts of life, sonny.
I have a plan, just that it is loose in details. (good cruiser plan overall I think)

I suspect all I would learn in that one is that an Aussie can out drink me ;)

BTW - who you calling sonny :p

Reactions: MarkofSeaLife
#9 ·
I may be heading out next year and don't have any plan/schedule other than head south to warmer weather (starting from NE USA). But I do want to go to Bermuda along the way. But I also really want to cruise more of the SE US instead of going to Bermuda and then just heading south to the islands.

So what would be a good jumping off place that would also be a good spot to return to in order to continue the US part of the cruise?

Or would it really be better to just sail south all the way to Key West and then backtrack "up" to Bermuda and then head south after toward the islands?
2 problems with what you're proposing...

First, Bermuda is hardly "along the way" if you're starting from the NE, but still want to cruise the SE coast as far as the Keys...

Second, there's this little factor known as 'Hurricane Season' that makes the timing of such a jaunt problematic... I have difficulty imagining what time of the year you'd perform the 'backtrack' maneuver from Key West to Bermuda, thence to the Caribbean, in a more or less continuous fashion.

Bermuda is a great place destination, no question... I think a better plan might simply be to sail out there and back to NE in June, before hurricane season kicks into gear... For one thing, would be the perfect shakedown for an extended cruise... And, that time of year, a departure and return to NE is no problem. If you're heading to Bermuda in the fall, however, I believe you want to jump off from either the Chesapeake, or Beaufort, and not anywhere north of there...

Then, in the fall, work your way down the East coast along with everyone else...

Sure, it's nice to have "no plans", but at some point, you really have to decide where you (or, your insurance company) wants you to be for hurricane season...

#11 · (Edited)
Don,

As Jon points out the trip is dictated primarily by hurricane season and secondarily by the NW winter lows. It all depends on the time of year you plan to sail.

Your plan is actually valid for a Fall departure from the NE!

Work your way south along the US coast in October having the ability to run for shelter if threatened by a late hurricane or an early winter storm. We did this twice and visited all the lovely places, like Charleston, on the East Coast. If you stay close to land there is often a south going counter current to aid your passage.

Our insurance dictated that we could not go south of the Florida line before Nov 1.

We then spent Christmas in Florida and the Keys and went to the Bahamas in early Spring.

Getting from the Bahamas to the Caribbean down the thorny path is hard work and is more easily done in late Spring, before hurricane season, by going east out to 65W. The problem is that the best course to windward, out of the Abacos, is often towards Bermuda. It is important to make easting on the starboard tack so that you do not get south too early and run into the west going current. The last time we did that trip I told the crew that Bermuda might just be en-route if we wanted to sail all the way. On one trip we actually sailed towards Bermuda for 2 days before we got a wind shift that enabled us to sail east.

After a few weeks in Bermuda you sail due south with the north pole star directly aft and you then arrive in the Caribbean in May/June just in time to deal with hurricane season! Which is another thread.

This route is a 'pretty route' with lots of nice places to visit and avoids the complications associated with the Salty Dawg, crossing a wide part of the Gulf Stream in a winter storm or the Thorny Path, bashing into a 1-2 knot current and 15 knots trade winds going east just north of Hispaniola and Puerto Rico.

The route is based on the the theory that you want to visit as many nice places as you can while avoiding going hard to windward.

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/vessels-lost-missing-danger/105421-rallies-gone-wrong.html

Good luck Phil

#12 ·
I'd do Newport to Bermuda, spend a few days there (not that much to see), and then head for Norfolk. ICW and coastal hopping South to Key West. Go backwards through the Bahamas from South to North and get East for the Caribbean.

You'll have to pay attention to hurricane season and local weather.

Have you been offshore before?

#13 ·
Some very useful advice here, Don. Strangely enough having a fairly carefree cruising life does involve some careful planning. I think I would agree with the advice to go NE to Bermuda in May/June. Bermuda is not a place with many attractions as such, but the general feeling of the island is terrific. I would suggest 1 to 3 weeks there before heading back. Come back to somewhere like the Chesapeake and head south from there when the weather and insurance dictates. Our insurance said north of Hatteras until Nov. 1.

#15 ·
Why in the world you'd want to cross the Gulfstream twice in one season if you didn't have to baffles me, so here's another idea. Newport to Bermuda. Bermuda to the Antilles. Cruise the Windward and Leewards in the winter, then hunkering down somewhere for the hurricane season, doing maintenance and partying w/ all the others doing the same. After hurricane season, sail up the islands to St Martin (if you hunkered down in Grenada or Trini), across to the BVI's and west to Central America or the Yucatan, via Jamaica. Then you can ride the stream back to the Keys and up the East coast to wherever you please. A two season plan, but with the best possible wind angle (except from Yucatan to Miami, but most of that can be easily done in short hops).

#21 ·
Agree. A non-stop sail from New England to Norfolk should be a good shake down. Then either Norfolk to Bermuda or inside to Beaufort and then to Bermuda. On to the the Virgins or Antigua or Sint Marrten and a couple of years in the Caribbean, summering in Grenada or Trinidad/Tobago. On the way back to the US you can come through the Bahamas to South Florida and then go up the East Coast. Now that's a plan worth having...even if you don't like plans.

#26 ·
It would be a shame to miss Bermuda. We have been there many times and love it. It is not expensive if you don't buy stuff - which sounds stupid except it isn't. Going by bus/ferry from St George's to the Dockyard is actually quite a bargain and a lovely pleasant trip. Provisioning is not cheap but it is a lot better and relatively cheaper than it was when I was first there in the early 80's. Restaurants range from moderate in price to ridiculous but you can have an economical meal with Bermuda fish chowder and a beer in various pubs and off the main tourist routes cheaply.

We will be back in Bermuda in May some time on our way from the Caribbean to the northeastern US.

One final comment about a November passage to the Virgins from the Chesapeake and similar points. We were told that if you have good conditions when you are in the general vicinity of Bermuda don't stop. In 2009 we were within about 40 miles of Bermuda (almost convinced myself I could see the glow of lights in the sky) but did not stop and had a fine passage southward. A couple of boats that were on the radio with Herb got beaten up a bit coming from Newport and went into Bermuda for minor repairs and a rest. They were there for more than three weeks waiting for a decent weather window. Not a bad spot to get stranded, but I am sure it wore on them in time.

#27 ·
A couple of boats that were on the radio with Herb got beaten up a bit coming from Newport and went into Bermuda for minor repairs and a rest. They were there for more than three weeks waiting for a decent weather window. Not a bad spot to get stranded, but I am sure it wore on them in time.
Yeah that says like a rough time. "Honey we need to hang out in Bermuda a few weeks to wait for good weather. Guess that will make us late to our next stop that we don't have a schedule to get to." ;)

#29 ·
No experience sailing to Bermuda (yet), but after being shuffled off to Bermuda relatives for most of my childhood summers (I know, poor me) and returning often as an adult, I would encourage anyone visiting to look beyond the standard tourist attractions by slowing down on the bikes or even walking and taking in the nooks and crannies of the island. I returned with a first timer and, seeing the island from his perspective, I realized there was much that I had missed despite all my time there.

I'd skip a cricket match, however. I have more fun watching my leg hair grow.

#33 ·
"sailing on by"

you guys are on the wrong thread, this one is about going to Bermuda, not passing it by

BTW - I know about weather issues, thanks for telling me but I'm not a complete idiot

#34 ·
Actually we were talking about getting to the Caribbean in November. As has been stated a few times, the best time for a Bermuda visit is May/June when the weather risks getting there are minimized and the weather once you get there is ideal for enjoying the island.

#41 · (Edited)
Nah, just lots of assumptions required to address your question, given the lack of information initially offered...

:)

On another note:

Jon: Is that an in the boom furler on your Chance? If so, when did you put it on, which brand did you chose and how do you like it?

Cheers,
Ron
Hi Ron,

Unfortunately, that's not my boat, but I'm flattered that mine might have been confused by that beauty... :)

That was a Valiant 42 I was taking down to Antigua a couple of years ago. It was the fall that the NARC got thrashed by TS Sean. We were planning on going direct to Antigua, but when Herb began to voice some concerns about the possible development of another tropical low, we chose to divert to St Georges. I had my brother and his oldest son along for the ride, and we had a wonderful 3 1/2 days on Bermuda, probably the highlight of that trip... Turned out to be one of those instances where "Riding the Curve" by heading due E out of the Chesapeake really paid off, by keeping Bermuda close at hand... (Sadly, that turned out to be Herb's last season of forecasting, I know you are familiar with that sorry story)

That boat had a Leisure-Furl... I've run a fair number of boats by now with L-F booms, I think it's a superb system overall, though I can't recommend their motor-driven unit. Far better to stick with the halyard/downhaul led to winches, instead. L-F had some teething problems early on, but they have things well sorted out by now, and are pretty bulletproof as long as the boom is precisely adjusted, and the operator(s) understand how to use the system. I suspect most of the problems that arise with L-F today, are a result of operator error, most likely Electric Winch Abuse... :) And that is very often the consequence of the halyard and downhaul winches being placed under a dodger which can make it very difficult to watch the sail being hoisted or lowered - few things drive me crazier, than being unable to properly sight the main when doing this, yet it's amazing how common that problem is...

If I were ever to move up to something in the 40+ foot range, at this point in my life, I'd want to go with a Leisure-Furl. The only downside (aside from the substantial cost), is the massive weight of the boom... You do NOT ever want to have an accidental jibe in heavy air with one of these things, the forces could be massive, and the results catastrophic. They must be prevented religiously, and I'd definitely want a Boom Brake as well, and yet I've never seen one so equipped...

One other possible benefit of such systems, in my observation I think they can likely extend the life of your main - particularly a laminated sail - by eliminating the long-term damage to the sail that results from flaking... My North 3DL main is by now completely shot, being held together by reams of sail repair tape, primarily as a result of repeatedly being folded/creased... I've gotten excellent service from this sail, but it will definitely be the last laminated sail I will ever own :)

Every boat I've run with a L-F, the main was in superb condition... (Of course, some of those boats had likely seen VERY light use over time) This Cabo Rico 42, the sails were at least 5-6 years old, and yet the laminated main looked essentially new. Definitely would not have been the case, had the sail been living on a conventional boom, flaked...

#40 ·
Let me suggest a more broad approach. Since you have some time on shore (and hopefully a little bit of money) why don't you broaden your research. We are all (with a nod to JonEisberg) giving you information that has been cataloged in various books and computer programs. There are specific sailing routes to get from place to place. These routes optimize (from historical data) the best wind / least storm ways to get from "A" to "B." The routes are also dependent on month of year. You would not, for example, choose to go from Newfoundland to Scotland in January (unless you were fighting in WWII.)

Two suggestions:

Invest in World Cruising Routes (7th edition) by Jimmy Cornell - Amazon.com: World Cruising Routes: 7th edition: 1000 Sailing Routes In All Oceans Of The World (World Cruising Series) eBook: Jimmy Cornell: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511%2BE9pFhuL.@@AMEPARAM@@511%2BE9pFhuL

Don't get the computer edition, buy the book - computers have a tendency to crash in salt water environments - this is a book you will carry on board cruising (there are other books, perhaps someone else might recommend one - this happens to be the one I have used for years.) This lays out the traditional routes from point "A" to point "B." The 7th edition has been updated with very recent pilot chart data (you will learn about pilot charts at some point.)

Consider getting a copy of Virtual Passage Planner. Link to free trial download Visual Passage Planner 2.1 Download (Free trial) - VPP2.EXE

This is a software program that lets you define your own routes. It then applies average wind and average current vectors (by month) and tells you how fast you will go, how long the trip will take, and how much time you will spend going upwind, reaching, and running.

Unlike the Interstate highway system where you just put the petal to the metal and go the speed limit (or a little above) sailing routes turn the ocean from one big blue thing into very specific places to be and to not be. This is because of the "bands" of wind from the equator to the poles - Intertropical Convergence Zone, Easterlies, Doldrums, Westerlies, etc. There is a great marine weather book by Steve and Linda Dashew called Mariners Weather Handbook that explains all this. You can download it for free!!! at http://setsail.com/mwh.pdf

Finally, spend some time on Noonsite - http://www.noonsite.com/. This site was started based on the work of Jimmy Cornell (the guy who wrote World Cruising Routes.) It is a great site to get very current country information. This can be critical to your budget. Checking into one country might cost you $500 while the next island might be $10. Good stuff to know.

Best wishes as you plan your adventures...

Fair winds and following seas :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.