SailNet Community - View Single Post - cape dory 30
Thread: cape dory 30
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2002

tsenator is on a distinguished road
cape dory 30

Bluemoods,

"Catalina Yachts are rated very high for blue water cruising." ?

(Before the one or two nuts on this board respond to this post and spew forth blatant garbage, I better jump in and comment)

Even though I think Catalina yachts make very good boats and I think they are set up excellently for Coastal Cruising , I wouldn''t go so far as to say they are rated very high for blue water cruising. That is taking it too far. Could some of the bigger Catalinas with proven designs be taken Blue Water cruising, absolutely and many do. But they are not the ultimate design (some thing are easily modified though, such as sea berths and extra tankage, etc) and with modifications I wouldn''t mind doing some blue water cruising on some of the Catalinas (C42 comes to mind, proven record, etc)

Dollar for Dollar, I don''t think you will find a more solidly constructed, conservatively designed and well though out coastal cruiser on the market. It will not be the fastest and not have the best wood work below, but it is plenty fast for me (of course a J boat is faster, but the Cat will blow the doors off most Blue Water cruisers) and the woodworking is still very nice though not a Tartan or Sabre (I''d rather a manufacturer puts its money into beefing up the important things like Chainplate attachments, etc, which I believe Catalina does) Every year their build quality goes up and they do subtle design changes that are recommended by owners. They are continually refining their boats.....It is not the ultimate or highest rated blue water cruiser, but it is definitely one highest rated coastal cruisers.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook