SailNet Community - View Single Post - CS36 Merlin
Thread: CS36 Merlin
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007

PalmettoSailor will become famous soon enough
CS36 Merlin

I've seen lots of positive comments on the CS36T on this site but only passing mentions of the CS36 Merlin. Generally, the comments on the Merlin are they are sought after by the racing set and thats it. What I haven't seen is comments on the contstruction quality and sailing performance of the Merlin vs. the traditional. Some folks have said the CS36T would be a boat they'd consider for offshore passages. Does the Merlin meet that standard as well? Since CS boats are apparently fairly rare on the Chesapeake (I haven't found a single CS36T for sale on the bay), it would help if someone could rate the Merlin against boats I'm more familiar with, such as Tartan's, Sabres and the big three production boats of the same vintage (Late 80's).

I've come across a shoal draft CS36 Merlin that looks to be in decent condtion from the web pic's anyway and will have a chance to go see it next weekend. Though the pictures look promising, I have to say that I have been terribly disappointed in the true condition of some boats I've gone to see. I went to see a Sabre 38 based on the pristine looking photos on the web, only to find it was in very rough conditon.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook