SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

through deck electrical

5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jarcher 
#1 ·
looking for some help locating a through deck waterproof electrical connector. i can find 2 wire connectors but i would really like to find a three (or four) wire connector so 2 circuits could be run up the mast for anchor light and steaming light.

#7 ·
Lmtx

At the deck level, it is a 1" SS thruhull. The piece of teak you see on the inside pic is a backing block that gave me just the right amount of threads above deck to tighten the lock nut and not have a lot of bare threads exposed. I cut the hole in the deck with a hole saw the next size bigger than required and then filled the hole with thickened epoxy. It cured for a few days and I redrilled in the center of the filled hole with the smaller hole saw, leaving a hole through the deck that completely isolated the deck core and laminate from the outside world. I coated the filling with polysulfide and installed.

The mast fitting is a 7/8" SS 45 degree pulpit base. A hole was drilled in the mast and then I rotated the base to find the best angle for the wire lead. Then I drilled and tapped the fastener holes in the mast for machine screws I cut to length such that when fully tightened, there was little to no thread protruding inside the mast. The base and screws were coated in Tef-Gel and mounted. The hose between the two fittings is white 1-1/8" saniation hose.

#9 ·
Rick

Thanks again. I had fallen into the trap in the past of getting all the wires throught the deck by conventianal means, only to come up with something I wanted to add and not having a good way to get the wire through. Plus, this is one hole to keep bedded and sealed, which I find much easier and cheaper than induvidual connectors.

I started to fix some of the non-functional wiring when I bought the boat and got so frustrated with the original wiring that I just ripped it all out and started from scratch. I couldn't be happier with that decision.

Ryan

#11 ·
On a friend's boat, we did something similar, using a standpipe with a 180˚ bend in it to prevent water intrusion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.