SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anyone know of a 28-32' boat for sale by owner?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2007
"On a Tartan 30"

BlowinSouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlowinSouth
Anyone know of a 28-32' boat for sale by owner?

I'm looking for a boat and I prefer to deal directly with owners rather than brokers but the vast majority of boats listed online are by brokers. I got to know a broker in my old marina pretty well and he was quite the shyster.

(Disclaimer: Not to imply that all brokers are shysters but the few that I've known were less than honest with prospective buyers AND owners.)

He wouldn't even present all offers to the owners if he felt he could get more for the boat. He would tell the prospective customer that he DID talk to the owner and begin negotiating on his behalf without ever having presented the offer to the owner.

I knew of one owner that was willing to sell his boat for about half of what the broker had it listed for and the owner kept telling him to lower the price and the broker would say he would but never would.

So... If anyone knows of a 28-32' (or more) boat for Under $15k please let me know.

I will pay cash.

Preferences:

I prefer an east coast (or Gulf) boat but will not rule out a west coast boat. I'm going to relocate to where ever the boat is currently located.

Prefer an older quality boat in good/average condition rather than a newer bendy in poor condition.

Prefer at least coastal worthy that is possibly offshore capable with some upgrading.

Prefer full keel over fin and/or skeg rudder over spade- but will not rule anything out.

Prefer diesel and wheel over gas and tiller but again will not rule anything out.

Prefer heavier and seaworthy over light and fast but a well-built racer/cruiser would be fine.

I have a list of brokered boats that I'm going to start making offers on soon but just wanted to put some feelers out if any of you know of boats in your marina or storage yard with 'for sale' signs on them I would appreciate a heads up!

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Last edited by BlowinSouth; 11-12-2007 at 08:40 PM. Reason: add preference
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook