SailNet Community - View Single Post - Message in a bottle
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2002

bob-m is on a distinguished road
Message in a bottle

Pamela,

If your goal is to start cruising in 2 years, NOW is the time to "start living the life style". Do you have a realistic financial plan? You will need a source of income and an escape plan.

If I were your age, I would move to the east coast (much cheaper to live here)and continue my career, buy a veeeery small house and save, save, save. Get rib of everything except the essentials. This includes fancy cars, 3 TVs, the golf clubs (you can no longer afford expensive hobbies), etc.. Stop eating out. Can you sew? Can you & your husband fix almost every thing on the boat. Take a diesel mechanics course, get your HAM radio license. You need to be self-sufficient. If you can''t do it on the hard, you won''t do it afloat!

Then, find your boat and move aboard. Keep the house to come back to if necessary. Continue to work. This is a great way to determine if having a floating house is really for you, without giving up your careers. If the answer is YES, wait until you are financial ready. You will sail every chance you get. This will get you prepared for a new and fantastic life. DO NOT listen to advise like, "go small and go now". Remember, these folks are not selling books, they are selling dreams. If done correctly, this WILL BE YOUR LIFE for years to come!!! Your boat is about to become your home. You want to be comfortable. Not all days are sunny. You will spend countless rainy days aboard.

Good Luck!!!

Regards
Bob-M
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook