SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outfitting C36 for passagemaking
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAlyea View Post
Other than limited tankage, where else is a C36 lacking when it comes to passagemaking?
There was a fellow in the last five years that I recall reading about in one of the sailing magazine who had a Catalina 36, I believe, that he spent ages outfitting to do either a race or just a passage from the U.S. West Coast to Hawaii.

The story was instructional.

The parts I recall included equipment failures of various types, crew sickness due to extreme movement, and I believe eventually a rudder post failure, taking on water and an offshore rescue.

Does this mean the Catalina 36 shouldn't be taken to Hawaii? No.

Does this mean there are better boats? Assuredly.

Does this mean better boats for offshore will be regularly passed in light air and coastal waters by tanned, bikini-wearing crew of Catalina 36s, drinking cocktails and barbequing on the rail, while the better boat for offshore helmsman is sitting in his tiny, self-bailing cockpit, sewing chafe gear in his oilskins? Could be. Probably, in fact.

But both boats are sailing, and both crews are enjoying themselves. The difference is that one crew wouldn't enjoy themselves at all in 40 knots and 18 foot seas 600 miles northwest of San Diego, and the other wouldn't give it much thought. It's not a "one's better, the other's worse" situation, merely a different one. Learn why, and your list will write itself.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook