SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outfitting C36 for passagemaking
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
YES ..CDs my hero.

C36 have been all over the world, that said....

1) The 36 has a shallow bilge which means that when you are beating, and should you take on some water (which any boat will), the water level could be higher than the bilge but the bilge pump will not pull it out. THus the water will raise above the floorboards. THis can be corrected with some mod's to a port/stbd hose to manually pull the water off via a manual switch bilge pump, but it is something you should consider.

2) The 36 has low tankage, espedcially to cross an ocean. You can modify this with diesel and water bladders water is easy fit a water maker.- but you will have to modify for fuel storage.

3) You rudder is not protected, no skeg. You cannot modify this. You can take some other means for sterring the boat in case of a rudder failure... I would.

4) You only have 2-4D's on that boat, each if new AGM's would only give about 200 ah before recharge (using the 50% rule). You need to consider how you will recharge the batts for 2+ weeks at sea. If you are running an autopilot, you will really eat into that 200. think wind vane steering.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic

Last edited by SimonV; 11-13-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook