SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom Paint Choice
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2007

gc1111 is on a distinguished road
I keep my boat in the same yard as a noted long distance sailor - Eric Forsyth. I was at the yard one year when he had just returned from cruise and watched his boat being hauled. The bottom was pristine - no growth of any kind. So I immediately asked what bottom paint he used (Trinidad) and switched to that for the next year. My usage is a month long cruise (Long Is. to Maine) and occassional day sailing the rest of the season. At the end of that season I had just as much fouling (both hard and soft) as with my previous paint.

Why? The answer is keeping moving. Eric spends much more time underway than at anchor. I spend much more time at the dock than underway. That is the primary factor, the type of paint is secondary.

So my conclusion is to select a bottom paint using different criteria (sticking to the good brands of paint). I have gone to an ablative and use it for multiple seasons with just touch-ups annually. My criteria here is simply cost. You can use a top level paint for the same total cost as el cheapo paint.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook