SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising Sail Inventory
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2002

BrentGH is on a distinguished road
Cruising Sail Inventory

Hey Jack,

Sorry to be so long, just hauled out, dropped the diesel out for overhaul, pulled the prop and rudder off. All was in better than expected condition, save the rudder, which has a design problem with the 3rd(lowest) bearing, lets water into the rudder after a time. Anyway, I am definitely designing the inner stay to be removable, and I''ll think of a way to tension it properly when stowed. I ended up going with a 135 with a low tack, and raised clew. It will have a small luff pad, which ought to allow it to furl nicely to around 100%. I opted for a mid sized genoa, on the larger size of what you had recommended based on my boats particular handling characteristics. She''s a bit of a dog in light air, having a pretty large D/L ratio. The staysail is also designed with a reef and made of heavier cloth, so it will be a good storm sail, along with a trisail reef in the med/heavy main.

I follow you with the chafe on the clew reefing line as well. I''ve seen the sacraficial webbing used as well, and plan to do the same. I feel that a very important part of my plan is the preparation itself. I am going to take a boat that was in good shape, an A1 German Lloyds Cert. boat, and go over every detail consulting the collective experience of people like you. The boat will not only be more functional, better performing, safer, and tougher, but I will get to test her extensively coastally around the San Francisco bay.

My own boat work is on a scheduled vacation for a few months as I will be delivering a brand new Amel from La Rochelle to Antigua via the Canaries. I hope to find a berth crewing on boats back to the mainland, then return to complete the overhaul in the summer. I appreciate the words of wisdom, they are quite salty! Perhaps our wakes will cross out there.

Cheers,
Brent
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook