SailNet Community - View Single Post - Manual Anchor Windlass
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2002

rclampitt is on a distinguished road
Manual Anchor Windlass

Last May we had a discussion on the message board regarding the installation of an electric powered windlass on my Cal 31 and other like vessels. We ended up sailing the Cal 31, in question, from Bellingham WA to Seward Alaska in early July, using the son-in-law as the windlass. This was a great voyage, however the son-in-law has returned home, and now it is my wife and I who serve as the windlass. Our main anchor is a Bruce with 50'' of chain. We often anchor in 60 to 90 feet of water so this is quite a bit of work. I have thought about reducing the chain to 25''.

Attention Jeff.
Jeff, you noted at the time that you were considering a manual windlass on your 38 footer. This is the way we have decided that we want to go. Reasons: No battery power concerns. Reliable. Yes slow, but we are seldom in a hurry to get off an anchorage. In a blow, I would bet that we could give the electric some serious competition. Anyway, can mount on deck above forepeak without impinging on quarters below. Let me say it again. Reliable, not dependant on battery.

The one we are looking at is the Simpson Lawrence Manual Anchorman 1000g Windlass w/ gypsy for boats to 40 feet. The price today is only 529.00 without accessories. I hear that Simpson Lawrence was bought out by Lewmar. Hope this does not confuse things.

We intend to mount the windlass on deck rather than in the chain locker.

Jeff, I don''t know what you decided, but we decided we are already too dependent on electric power for too many things.

RC
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook