SailNet Community - View Single Post - cape dory 30
Thread: cape dory 30
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2002

Doug_53 is on a distinguished road
cape dory 30

Opps sorry the words Cape Dory just get me fired up. Here is a bit more info for you. I have been out in snot in the Catalinas and yes the bigger ones can be fine. The Catalina 30 will not handle bad weather. The hull shape alone should tell you that. Thats how they get all their interior space. To much freeboard and the bottom is to flat. Anything over a 3 foot wind wave and she will begin to pound rather that cut through the waves. Have a look at the (TOO) hull fitings. One good freez and your looking at a possable problem. I replaced all mine with bronze through hulls. Now look at the spar and rig. Do you think it will stand up to a real blow. (NO) Been there done that. She was designed for inland waters or day sailing coastal water. She is a good design for that use. Intercoastal waterway (OK). I would not want to gamble my life on one in any other way. Dont get me wrong my Catalina was wonderfull and took me into the San Juan Islands and Puget Sound but she didn''t do well when the tide was against the wind and the waves built up. Experiance is the best teacher.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook