SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel Vs. Fin or Modified Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007
yacht broker

captnnero is on a distinguished road
what US Naval Academy researcher ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
Then there is the whole grounding issue. The popular perception isthat wing keels are harder to free is accurate. This seems to be born out by discussions that I have had with towboat skippers on the Chesapeake and with a researcher who worked on a project at the US Naval Academey. According to both wing keels were extremely harder to free. Straight fins were much easier to free, especially when heeled. There also is some evidence that bulbs may be easier to free than fin keels....Jeff[/FONT]
Last year in a similar thread I challenged the claim that research was done at the Naval Academy on wing keel groundings. To my knowledge that claim has yet to be substantiated by anyone. I went to the effort of inquiring at the Academy to find the principal investigator for their keel grounding study. In fact it was a fin vs. bulb comparison in the study. I communicated with that professor and he was not aware of any such WING KEEL grounding research.

Naturally, I am curious as to the identity of the researcher at the Academy who has done a wing keel grounding study.

For my headstone:

If I'd only listened to those guys about that wing keel...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook