SailNet Community - View Single Post - Manual Anchor Windlass
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Manual Anchor Windlass

I basically agree with Jacks accessment almost 100%. (I am not sure that I wouldn''t cut back on the chain to perhaps 30 feet on your 30 footer)

Although my boat is 38 feet, our boats are about the same displacement. I carry roughly 40 feet of 5/16 chain with a 22 lb Danforth. After using the anchor for a summer I have decided not to add a windlass at least not for the moment.

Over the course of the summer I have developed a method to haul out the anchor in a pretty wide range of conditions that works pretty well. I basically work my way up on the anchor until the rode is vertical and cleated off tight. After a few minutes in that position I back out away from the rode. streaming the anchor and rode forward of the bow. I continue to back until I have searoom and I am backing downwind. It is only at that point that I recover the anchor. Its a pretty easy manuever single-handed and even easier with crew.

Jack''s point about the bow roller is a good one. I am thinking of extending the bow roller channel further outboard to allow me to simply haul up the anchor to the roller without banging up the bow of the boat.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook