SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best Keel for Coastal and Blue Water Cruising
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2001

JohnDrake is on a distinguished road
Best Keel for Coastal and Blue Water Cruising

I also agree with your statements, BUT I think that we are dealing with a historical anomoly that may not be repeated. I also think some people might argue with a couple boats on your list, but thats OK.

Historically, the boat industry has been through a couple of depressions and periods of hyperinflation during the past 20 yrs. It is that, in my opinion, that has led to the situation we have now where many of those boats like Hinckley''s have asking prices higher than when they were new. I am not sure that is a rule to follow for the future, but you are right in that it does indicate which are the better boats.

But again, everything has a cost. A used Alden may be 2-3 times the cost of a new C or B (I don''t think many people would lump those in with H, though they would with C&C... no slight against C&C''s). I personally think that is too much money given how many people have sailed such long distances in C''s & B''s. There is no question that if someone were to give me a boat, I would take a Passport, Valiant, Hylas or Shannon over any other boat. I might even buy a used one over a new C or B, given the same size for an equivalent price. But I am not sure you could even find one less than 20 yrs old for the same price you would pay for a new C or B.

I am not trying to be argumenative, I am very much enjoying this discussion and everyone''s comments. My point is that, I think the boat industry is at the point where the values of much older boats may plummet as people begin to reject the old "yacht 101" interior''s in favor of newer more comfortable designs and builders, like C build boats that are right on the very fine edge of being good safe boats built in the least expensive manner. I think that compels people like the gentleman who started this thread to consider new.

As for the future value of a boat. Much as I love those older boats, I think that in 10 yrs, a new C will be worth more than a 20 yo classic bought at the same price. Not much of a market for old boats. The reason we are seeing some 15-20 yo boats at high prices today is that they are right at their value break point, in my opinion. Except for the true classics like Alden and Hinckley.

Not sure where that leaves us but sure am having fun. Would rather be sailing, but the next best thing is chatting with good sailors about boats. And I am struggling with this very point: what age boat to get. After much thought, I am looking at boats that are 10-12 yrs old.

My best to all. Sorry to be so long winded.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook