SailNet Community - View Single Post - Back on market...
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007

merttan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
You mention nothing about a good survey? How will you know what to offer if you don't have a handle on the actual condition other than aesthetics. I also think your repair estimates are grossly optimistic. Any boat in the 30 feet range that can be purchased for under 10k will take close to that same amount in repairs rather quickly. Been there done that as have many on this board....

The list below is by no means complete but I have added $ symbols next to each. The symbols represent the costs related to a repair more $ = more money..

Some things to look for:

Wet decks $$$$$$$
Chain plates $$
Bulkheads $$$$
keel joint issues $$$$
running and standing rigging $$$$
electrical system $$$
plumbing system $$
fuel tank and internal condition $$$
sea cocks and through hulls $$$
steering mechanism and condition of $$
Moisture in the rudder? $$$$
cutlass bearing $$
rudder bearing $$
stuffing box $
bilge & stringer condition $
blisters $$
how many layers of bottom paint? $
engine with an oil analysis
oil leaks $$
interior cushions moldy? $$$
Well I haven't seen the boats yet I'm going to see them on Staurday... I'll take the list you wrote with me though... You have some points that is not in my list... Thanx...
There are defect I'm willing to swallow though. Such as bad cushions, bottom paint, old electrical systems, old electronics, etc... Of course, those don't resemble further problems such as moldy cushions can be from leaks and bad air circulation which means bigger problems...

I've got a question here though, tell me if that's the right way...
(?)I've been trying to do my boat visits after rainy days to make any leakage visible...

(?)So far, I've been bringing my tool box with me to remove bolts and screws in certain areas to see their condition. I've seen some rusted ones, those I thought have a water in the core... Some were plainly in good condition. Then, I check the bolt hole with a cotton stick (ear cleaner) to see if there is any moisture or peeling...

(?)I also pull and push stanchions and cleats to see if they move...

(?)I check batteries and wires with a electronic multimeter for shorts and battery life...

(?)I use a plastic spatula to scratch bottom paint to see if it's peeling off ...

(?) Open-close all hatches, companion way, etc. Multiple times to see water, rotting, and their overall condition...

(?) I spin the tiller or wheel... First slowly to feel any rusting on the bearings.... Than really fast to see how they react to fast movement...

(?)If I can I jump on the deck and cocpit to feel any softness and listen for cracking sounds... Otherwise use a plastic hummer to knock around the deck and feel the thickness.

(?) I check for water accumulation or marks around engine compartment, storage areas, bilge, head, cabinets, and under the cushions...

Do you have any more ideas on checking what, where, and how?

Thanks again...

Materialism: Buying the things we don't need, with money we don't have, to impress people who don't matter.

Last edited by merttan; 11-14-2007 at 07:55 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook