SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel Vs. Fin or Modified Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
A fin or a full keel isn't going to have much effect at anchor, I would say. At dock, yes.

My 33', 9,200 lbs. fin keeler draws four more inches of depth than my 41', 29,500 lbs. full keeler. I've actually made use of those four inches to clear into docks with a measured six feet of depth...I draw about 5 foot 8 as currently laden.

It's really apples and oranges in some respects, though. I think a strongly built longish fin with a skeg-hung rudder is near ideal, but it's not the most popular design in the "economy bracket", possibly because it makes the hull mold quite complex.
Not thinkin' V. Of course I should have said tied up rather than at anchor. Daffier than normal today, big night last evening, teddibly teddibly drunk and paying for it today.

We agree on the fin/skeg business. I've always liked the look of the V40 underwater profile. Long fin with skeg. Should track pretty well, draft kept to a reasonable depth, nice solid skeg for protection. Hard to beat.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook