SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Islander 36

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  BarryL 
#1 ·
I'm looking into a 1973 Islander 36. My dad had hull #6 so I do love this venerable vessel. Still, I'm worried about her age. The asking price is just shy of $35,000. Is this a fair price for the ol' girl? What can I expect in the way of upkeep and/or resale value? And why are Islander 36's so pricey? Thanks.

#2 ·
The 3 1973 I36s listed on Yachtworld currently list from $29K to $36K, so you're at the high end of the range of asking prices....

I've always thought these were pretty, solid boats with a good following. I have, however, seen a number of them that suffer from fairly severe osmosis/blistering. So that's something to keep an eye out for.

Depending where you live, getting a 36 foot boat in the $30K range is not too bad, depending, of course, on the condition of the boat itself.

#3 ·
Welcome to sailnet. The asking price seems a bit high... but you generally don't pay anywhere near the asking price. I highly recommend you get a survey of the boat, as well as engine and rigging surveys, if you're serious about the boat.

#5 ·
FWIW, one of the Baja HaHa boats called in during the first half of the trip with a leaky keel bolt, despite the fact that four new ones (interspread between the oldies) had just been installed recently. They said they were sucking up water at a gallon a minute, but they made it to Cabo fine.
Not sure what that all means, but it could be one more goody to look at before signing your name........

RB

#6 ·
prices

Hello,

Considering the age of the boat, the price could be way too high or way too low. Are the sails new or old? Has the boat been painted recently or has original gal coat? Original engine, transmission, stuffing box and prop haft, or all new? Are there new electronics or old electronics? What is the interior like, original, moldy, worn out cushions, or new cushions and interior wood?

Answer some of those questions, and we can get a better idea on the price.

Barry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.