SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blisters
Thread: Blisters
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
We are looking at a 1984 boat that has had barriercoat applied to its bottom. I imagine that it was because the bottom was blistered.
Prob'ly right
Quote:
In inspecting the boat I see some blisters just above the waterline. Should I be concerned?
Yup
Quote:
I know blisters never sank a boat, however, this is something that I worry about.
Me - I'd pass on the boat ... too many others out there. Either they didn't repair the ones above the waterline (which would make me wonder how well they did the ones UNDER the waterline), or the boat has been lying on it's side or had an awful lot of weight loaded on it or the moisture that was inside was not allowed to dry out before the barrier coat was applied and it has migrated and is coming out above the waterline - could be a whole bunch of causes but there's something not right. It's an unusual enough situation (being in a spot that is supposed to be OUT of the water, on a boat that is supposed to have had this repair done recently) that I'd be tempted to think there's an issue....

Good luck with whatever you decide...
Regards
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook