SailNet Community - View Single Post - Outfitting C36 for passagemaking
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_gee View Post
Sorry. There are at least 50 of these for sale, most with offshore gear. Nada gives 49150 for an 84 Tayana plus an allowance for gear. Some I know have been on the market for a couple of years. Top condition, new motor still major negotiation.
Yes, but I consider Tayanas in good condition like Bayfields or Gozzards: Sentiment and pure esthetics mean that a boat in prime condition can command a bigger premium than the average, whereas a stock Hunter 33 is going to "trade", so to speak, in a more narrow range.

If people want them, it's what the market will bear (look at used Shearwater 45s, I know I have...). If they don't, get out the 30% off signs. C&C 35s command a premium locally, because they hit a known sweet spot of size, comfort, speed and "fun", even though they are 20-30 years old now and frequently have sodden decks and tired stays.

My own boat is unusual enough that I bought it at a discount to what I could get for it in, for instance, Europe, where unrusted steel pilothouses are understood and desirable. This difference is profound enough that it would be worth it to sail it to Europe emptied of personal possessions and selected gear and to sail it to a brokerage in France or Holland. The tax implications of this are unclear as of yet, but I've had inquiries here in Canada from visiting Europeans enough to convince me it's not a crazy notion.

I suppose the only upside to owning a boat that doesn't sell is that you may just give up and sail the thing for its intended purpose. Worse outcomes are conceivable.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook