SailNet Community - View Single Post - Giulietta's Home Port: Estoril, Portugal
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007

RealityCheck is on a distinguished road
I had the pleasure of visiting Estoril a number of times between 1979 and I think about 1985 when I worked for ITT who at that time had a semi-conductor factory in the area and later some other consumer electronics joint ventures.

Estoril is a very interesting and a nice looking place and as I primarily stayed at the Hotel Estoril Sol the views were very nice and I loved to take long drives on the weekends... except those darn people still drive on the wrong side of the street which I think I effectively corrected on a few round-abouts.

My strongest memory was that these people eat very late... I mean when I'm normally getting ready for bed!!! Went into restaurants at about 6 or 7 and they look at you very strangly... "real" people don't do that until some time between 9 PM and 1AM. But at 6 or 7 you can often have 10 or so waiters serving you.... think they replaced my fork every darn time I put it down!

I recalled the childhood story of the magpies baked in a pie... you know the one "4 and 20 black birds baked in a pie..." I didn't know it was based on an actually occurrence at I think it was a Moorish Castle just out side of Estoril. The Moorish influence on the area is unique and the views from many of them is breath taking.

Hope to return some day as I didn't get the chance to do more than take an occasional swim and some of the beaches out of town. I'll remember to take lots of photo disks this time... many of my photos have aged or been lost... would be nice to have the opportunity to make more.