SailNet Community - View Single Post - need boat advice...new to sailing!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2002

mikehoyt is on a distinguished road
need boat advice...new to sailing!

Paul Family,

Not sure if you bought a boat yet but do not dispair about a P23!

I had a P-23 when my girls were 6 and 8. The interior space may be small for adults but was great for the girls. Significant advantages over the Bluejacket and Bluenose are a table, bunks and a head! Children do not like to need to pee and be stuck in a boat with no toilet!

If you have 5000 US then that is about 7500 Beaver Bucks. I bought a P-23 in fabulous shape for 6500Cdn. I sold it 2 seasons later for 5500 because I had committed to buy a larger boat and needed the P23 sold NOW!

P-23 go for 5500 - 7500 Cdn. This is well within the numbers you stated. Tanzer 22 is almost a sister ship of the P23 and can be had for 5000Cdn and up. There are many boats in this size and age range available in Eastern Canada, esp this time of year. Visit marinas and yacht clubs and look on the bulletin boards.

The P-23/Tanzer 22 have large self bailing cockpits perfect for day sailing, they have a flat unencumered deck for sail handling and they also have a decent though small cabin to keep the children out of the elements and even allow them to nap. On several occasions we went for evening sails with friends in Halifax Harbour and the children went to sleep in the vee berth when they were tired. Even better is that the cabin is the size of a child''s playhouse and there is space for colouring and other activities for your children below.

There are many different 22 and 23 foot boats of varying ages for sale in Eastern Canada. They make excellent day sailors and even overnighters for a couple with young children.

You need a boat with a HEAD!

Good luck.
Email me if you need any more information at mike.hoyt@impgroup.com

Mike
Halifax, NS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook