SailNet Community - View Single Post - monitor windvane
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
monitor windvane

John, I thought your comments on the +/- of the Monitor were right on. (The ''oil derrick'' extension was one reason I went with a Sailomat, altho'' that choice has trade-offs, as well). And I suspect you find L38-advertised Monitors disappearing so quickly due to your location: lots of readers and lots of dock talk about Monitors given Scanmar''s location.

However, I''m wondering if you actually motored any extended periods with your servo oar in the water? Sailomat, like Scanmar, warns against this. In Sailomat''s case, the designer/builder says the prop wash will unduly wear the bearings and/or other parts of the structure via shaking/shuddering/etc. However, I just haven''t found this to be the case and wonder if this is an example of the manufacturer being cautious vs. working off empirical data from the field. Did you have any experience with this on your Norsea? In our case, I totally disassembled the unit to clean and repaint it and found no abnormal wear nor ways in which the wear would occur, even after doing a lot of motorsailing and some motoring with the oar trailing in the prop wash while in the Caribbean. Have you seen other vanes in the SF Bay area where this occurred? Just fishing for more data before going offshore again...

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook