SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising Diet Experiment - or, How to Accidentally Starve
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2007
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Windy,
Whew! After that second paragraph you had me worried-I thought perhaps you'd fallen in love. (g) You'll have to admit the similarity of symptoms.

One other thing on diet. You have to adjust yourself to the lag time of preperation. Fast food means you eat when you're hungry. Preped food means you eat 1/2-3/4 hour later and are even hungrier-or seem so. Also, if you are in the habit of eating at odd times for your meals it can create some of the same symptoms and worse. Your body does best when each meal happens at the regularly scheduled time. On ships, mealtime is inviolate and if the crew doesn't get fed as scheduled all kinds of quirks in personality start to emerge-miles from any escaping them I might add.

I'll also second the veggies recommendation. Dried fruit is readily available along with decent munchies at your backpacking outfitters. "some parts are actually edible" (I've just been waiting to work that into a thread for awhile-probably nobody remembers the commercial)