SailNet Community - View Single Post - Read any good books lately?
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2002

WHOOSH is on a distinguished road
Read any good books lately?

John, that''s an excellent list - or at least the volumes I recognize. Morrison''s account of WWII seems to be written by a seaman as much as an historian and are superb, IMO. Letcher''s book deserves to be reprinted - how it escapes this while the Pardey''s ''go simple'' mantra is so popular suggests there are still publishers who haven''t saturated or perhaps even understand the market. (And I''m another non-Pardey fan, tho'' one who surely respects their accomplishments).

I bashed ''older writers from former times'' in a post or two recently, but I fully agree with your depiction of Hiscock''s writings. I feel the same way about Hal Roth''s _After 50,000 Miles_, which I recently reread for the umpteenth time. And despite its 20 yr old age, I think Ross Norgrove''s _The Cruising Life_ is the best single introduction to the many details of sailing boats across oceans yet printed - it captures the gritty reality and the many important (and some, critical) choices a sailor must make, but he doesn''t leave out the romance and adventure of it all, either. What a role model.

Jack
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook