SailNet Community - View Single Post - First time sail to Bahamas
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007

cheapboxofwine is on a distinguished road
First time sail to Bahamas

Our family of four is on a trip now traveling the ICW on our sailboat. We started in Wisconsin in September and are currently in Southport, NC--it's nearly Thanksgiving. Our original intention was to end the trip in Florida sometime Dec./Jan. before we move back to Sweden. I personally am enjoying this trip so much that would like to extend and see some other waters and keep the new experience going. We have met a great family on the ICW that we are buddying up with and they are encouraging us to go to the Bahamas. It feels like we are just getting started and a relaxing time of clear blue water, warm sun and sand sounds very enticing after 30-40 mile days of grinding down the ICW. So, my question to you readers, is what is it like to sail from Florida to the Bahamas? What can a newbie expect on the great wide ocean for 20 hours or so? Are the Fla. Keys just as interesting? I say this now, but we would only be able to travel until Jan/Feb. before we have to ship the boat to Europe from Florida. My husband is the experienced sailor and it would not take much to twist his arm to go. I am new to this as are our daughters age 6 and 4. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook