SailNet Community - View Single Post - The cost of moving a boat
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2002

DonFoley is on a distinguished road
The cost of moving a boat

I moved a boat last year, and most of the quotes I got were in the same range. Bottom line turned out to be just over a dollar a mile. In fact, when I was thinking about changing my location for delivery down the road a bit more, they said ''no problem, each extra hundred miles is a hundred dollars.''

My boat has an 11'' beam, so they had to pay extra road fees. It''s 34'' long with a 4.2'' draft and runs around 12,000 lbs. The run from north georgia to south florida cost $1,100 for a 900 mile trip.

There''s the extra costs too. For me..., $160 for the haul out, $180 to pay someone to decomission the boat (you can do this yourself if you know what you''re doing, I didn''t have the time to do it by myself, so I paid an experienced rigger to help me out for a few hours). The haul in was $150 and I wasn''t there when the boat was delivered, so I paid a rigger $500 to put the mast back up, tune the rigging and put on the sails and replace all my mast lights.

I imagine costs are going to vary all over the country, but that was my experience. I found that many folks just run a storefront operation and have a list of boat movers they call for a job. My boat insurance agent said that my policy would cover any damage, fortunately there wasn''t any.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook