SailNet Community - View Single Post - The cost of moving a boat
View Single Post
post #3 of Old 12-11-2002
DonFoley

The cost of moving a boat

I moved a boat last year, and most of the quotes I got were in the same range. Bottom line turned out to be just over a dollar a mile. In fact, when I was thinking about changing my location for delivery down the road a bit more, they said ''no problem, each extra hundred miles is a hundred dollars.''

My boat has an 11'' beam, so they had to pay extra road fees. It''s 34'' long with a 4.2'' draft and runs around 12,000 lbs. The run from north georgia to south florida cost $1,100 for a 900 mile trip.

There''s the extra costs too. For me..., $160 for the haul out, $180 to pay someone to decomission the boat (you can do this yourself if you know what you''re doing, I didn''t have the time to do it by myself, so I paid an experienced rigger to help me out for a few hours). The haul in was $150 and I wasn''t there when the boat was delivered, so I paid a rigger $500 to put the mast back up, tune the rigging and put on the sails and replace all my mast lights.

I imagine costs are going to vary all over the country, but that was my experience. I found that many folks just run a storefront operation and have a list of boat movers they call for a job. My boat insurance agent said that my policy would cover any damage, fortunately there wasn''t any.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome