SailNet Community - View Single Post - True Grit
Thread: True Grit
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2002

Stede is on a distinguished road
True Grit

Thanks for the reply Jeff.After reading it, I realized that I left out some information in my original post that is important.The boat never had barrier coat applied after it was built. The manufacturer apparently applied two coats of bottom paint over the gell coat, and sent her on.(possibly because they knew the boat would be kept in freshwater and thought bottom coat would be sufficient,...I don''t know.)Being naive as I was at the time, I didn''t know the boat only had bottom coat on her.When I pulled the boat out a year ago to have her bottom done, I found the blisters.I had scheduled to have bottom coat reapplied at a local yard thinking that this was all that would be needed, but after seeing the bottom, it was obvious that the boat only had bottom coat.When they saw the bottom, they suggested the sand-blast,repair blisters,two barrier coats,and two bottom coats route.To make a long story shorter, they didn''t have time to do all this work due to continual bad weather before I needed the boat for a pre-scheduled trip.At the yards suggestion,I opted to have them apply one coat of bottom paint while leaving the blisters in tack.The extended plan was to pull the boat upon return from my trip and then do the more extensive work.This is where I''m at now in this process.The bottom line is I want to have it done right this time.Please advise again.Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook