SailNet Community - View Single Post - Ok, they're clean now so what do I waterproof them with?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
303 High Tech Fabric Guard...

303 High tech Fabric Guard is the ONLY approved waterproofing treatment for Sunbrella! Do not confuse it with 303 Aerospace Protectant they are two entirely different products for different purposes.

This product is NOT recommended because Glen Raven Mills, the parent company to Sunbrella, owns 303 and they make money from it. It's recommended because after vast amounts of testing, this directly from our rep at Glen Raven (I'm a silent partner in a Marine Canvas Business), it's clear, by quite a long shot, that 303 High Tech Fabric Guard is the best product for the fibers, waterproofing, dirt, pollution and stain resistance.

As an aside, I spilled some 303 High tech Fabric Guard on my Mahogany deck last year. To my surprise, and to this day, that spill spot NEVER gets wet and is still beading water a full year later! It would be an expensive deck treatment but holy crap that stuff lasts!!!

One last note DO NOT wash Sunbrella in a washing machine! Yes it came out clean and I know it's tempting, but detergent WILL and CAN destroy the Sunbrella fibers and the tossing and turning action of a front loader actually has the fibers sawing against each other thus shortening it's life span. We clean Sunbrella in a large soaking tub with Dreft or Ivory Snow non detergent soaps. After a day or two in the tub the dirt and pollutants are all sitting on the bottom of the tub and the product is clean. Washing Sunbrella in a machine will shorten it's life so try and not do it more than ABSOLUTELY necessary...

303 High Tech Fabric Guard:
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=429

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 11-22-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook