Thread: Product Reviews
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
Quote:
TRIDENT MARINE 12 VDC MARINE GAS CONTROL & DETECTION SYSTEM

(22a) #1300-7760

w/ Full detection/control panel, Gas Detector, & 10 foot quick connect cable. (1300-7760 will work on 24 VDC when used with a 24 VDC solenoid #1300-7708.2-24V).

(22b) #1300-7761 w/12 VDC Solenoid

w/ Full detection/control panel, Gas Detector, 10 foot quick connect cable and 3/8” solenoid.

Turns LP Gas ON or OFF from inside Galley; continuously monitors space(s) for presence of LP Gas in up to three locations with additional Gas Detectors (1300-7720); and automatically turns gas off and activates audio and visual alarms if gas is detected at 10% or more of lower explosion limit (LEL). Includes Marine UL Listed Detector (with red function light); UL Listed low pressure solenoid (22b); and UL Listed state of the art surface mount Control Panel (three alarm zone indicators, green function light, red alarm lights, 95 dB alarm, new mute/test button and 10 Foot Quick Connect Cable (#1300-7721-120). The detector is ON and monitoring even when Gas control panel is OFF, and its alarm horn will sound as long as LP Gas is present at 10% LEL or until the mute button is touched. If gas is detected when the control panel is turned ON, the control switch, green light, solenoid and gas are automatically turned OFF. The red alarm light illuminates to show where the alarm occurred. Accepts additional gas detectors (model 1300-7720). Draws 163 M.A. when OFF 953 M.A. in ON/Standby mode, & 255 M.A. in alarm mode.
Bought and installed this system on my boat, along with new propane tank, hoses, fittings and rebuilt Force 10 stove. Used two detectors, one directly under the dedicated propane locker in the bilge area under the aft cockpit. The other is in the cabin about 1 inch above the sole and about 18" from the stove.

First Impressions: Opened the box and was less than impressed with the items. The housings are all plastic and not particularly durable. I ended up making a new box for the cabin sensor unit to allow it to be flush-mounted. The black plastic thing was ugly and would have easily been damaged. I left the bilge unit in the plastic casing as it is not likely to come in contact with anything.

The control unit itself also comes in a plastic casing, dark grey, and while it looks a litle cheap, it can at least be invisibly mounted.

The solenoid and hoses looked run-of-the mill and seemed to be of acceptable quality.

The instructions were adequate - included pictures which helped somewhat. Did not hardwire the unit as the manufacturer suggests, rather, put it on a switch, wired into the 12 volt panel. This proved to be a very smart move on my part.

Operating Results: The unit performs as advertised. If anything it does its job a little too well. The cabin sensor goes off for any number of reasons, propane, butane, battery gas, some cleaning solvents, pretty well anything that isn't pure, clean, air.

The bilge unit has never gone off - for which we are eternally grateful, however I know it works because the little red light goes on, and there is a test button on the main panel, which also says things are fine.

Issues: It would be good if the alarm were louder. It is audible if the engine is not running, or the stereo is not on, but I questio whether it would wake us up if we had been imbibing.

Recommendation: I think it's a serviceable unit and does what it is supposed to do. Have not assessed it against comparable units, but it does have some features that I like - namely, it shuts off the solenoid automatically when it senses gas, and the panel indicates which sensor is picking up the trace. It can also handle one more sensor (for a total of 3), which I might install next year.

Found the instructions and

Last edited by Sailormann; 11-22-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook