SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailors and wind farms
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007
overdue at Sans Souci

Diva27 is on a distinguished road
The Georgian Bay Association, which is a creature of waterfront property owners, is really lobbying hard not to have them along the bay's shore. Their own committee report actually downplays the whole sound issue, but they clearly just don't like the idea of looking at the things. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. There's a big battle right now on Wolfe Island, near Kingston, Ont., between shoreline property owners and rural landowners who want to lease land for wind farms.
Toronto has one big generator on the waterfront, not in the water. I think people generally like it, as it says something about clean energy. I don't know if they'd feel any differently if there was a whole farm, or if Humber bay was dotted with them. Cpn Malcom makes excellent points about visibility and safe navigation. Denmark has massive wind farms offshore, and I'm not sure how they've handled this issue.
My thanks to everyone for the prompt and thoughtful replies. This is going to be a big issue along our shores, where it isn't already.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It is better to be vaguely correct than specifically wrong.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook