SailNet Community - View Single Post - sailors and wind farms
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
TPI, a fiberglass fabricator with a plant at our marina that also produces hulls for Pearson, JBoat and Alerion - among others, had a contract to produce vanes for a land based wind farm project a few years ago. I was amazed over the scale of these vanes, as hundreds of them were regularly trucked out on flat beds. The molds still sit in the boneyard behind the marina.

Some time after that the Dutch and Swedes constructed a massive offshore windfarm. The photos and videos from that project were used to educate the public by the group of private investors planning the Nantucket Sound project - the first of it's kind in the US.

For those who haven't yet seen the scale and magnitude of these things, check out some of these photos from the Dutch installation. The TPI project pales by comparison.

A promotional digitized image:

A series of actual construction photos:

I agree that we need to consider all directions for reducing our dependance of foreign oil - but, I am ambivalent about it being in my back yard. There are similar discussions as Nantucket Sound, for an offshore installation off Newport RI - between Sakonnet and Sachuest Points, which would create some navigational hazard issues for all boaters - especially during typical fog conditions.

In spite of all the negativity though - it is a good thing.

Last edited by TrueBlue; 11-23-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook