SailNet Community - View Single Post - Guides to Bahamas and the Caribbean
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Peter...I know you and he have a connection...but we totally ignored much of his advice on our trip down and went with the advice of our weather router Chris Parker. (Example we went DIRECTLY from Luperon WELL offshore to the south shore of PR (ponce) in EXCELENT weather and without any problems whatsoever rather than work the night lulls inshore and anchoring along the way that he deems an INVIOLATE rule in his typical manner. Do you want to know about the boats that left the harbor at the same time as us and followed his advice? Lightning strikes and weather delays as the window closed before they were able to get across. Result...expensive repairs and delay. )
My position is not to ignore him...but simply to use him as one more source of info for passagemeaking among others. MOST of the time and especially for smaller boats, his advice is accurate...but a prudent captain will not rely on one source as the font of all knowledge for a particular passage at a particular time.
We trusted Chris Parker's precise and personalized weather forecast for that particular piece of the passage on a particular day more than the generic advice of VanSant in making our decision...given the size of our boat and our known ability to make 300mi+ non-stop passages double-handed....and that was the right decision for us at that moment in time.

Hope you understand that I am not criticizing Bruce...merely stating that you need to consider more than just Bruce in making your decisions as a captain of your own vessel.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook