SailNet Community - View Single Post - Portable Generator question
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2007

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
sailingdog,

When I use the Honda I'm usually going from 50% to 85% because you have to run it too long to get the last 15% in. So in effect I'm only using 35% of my bank. When it blows again the batteries get back up to 100% thanks to my KISS. A couple of years ago I used the Honda to equalize a bank of flooded batteries. Had to run it all day, hardest part was refilling the gas without causing a fire! I changed to AGM's last year.
You've illustrated a good point for me here. With wind and plenty of solar available, plus a 100 amp charger, for me the charging aspect of the Honda 2000 will be primarily as a "stop gap" to charge a large bank to the "functional" 80% point, after which either the sun will be out, the wind will be blowing, or I'll start the damn engine!

The primary purpose of the Honda for me will be to power standard 115 AC hand tools on deck (grinding metal parts or cutting wood) when I want to avoid a big draw on the inverter and/or have a reason to get the work out of the forepeak workshop.

I can also see bagging it and taking it onto a beach to do work in a portable fashion. Certain places in the Pacific I can see a good way to make pals locally would be to bring your own dozen amps or so.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook