SailNet Community - View Single Post - Guides to Bahamas and the Caribbean
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007
cubacruising.net editor

pedrodelrio is on a distinguished road
Dear C.
We newspeople don't take offense easily. So don't worry about that. My point is that you may be better equipped or more skilled than 99 percent of the people I've seen sailing those waters, or you just may be lucky.

But in analysing your statement. You say you went in excellent weather all the way to Ponce. I too have gone all the way from Luperon to Virgin Gorda in a single shot--even more rare. Bruce actually discusses that rare eventuality when you have a weather window that lasts more than 3 days, usually these occur around November or May, and would heartily approve of going all the way without stopping.

Having said that, and having spent years in those waters, both you and I were lucky. As far as those other folks are concerned, I'd have to hear their story myself. Dollars to donuts: 1. They left as a buddy boat team and thus made poor committee decisions (and therefore were not captains of their own ships) and 2. They didn't really follow Bruce's advice just thought they were because of (see 1.) and a kind of wishful thinking that seems to grip so many American cruisers.

I might agree with you C., if I hadn't seen and documented so many examples of what you describe actually, upon scrutiny, turning out to be what I just described.

Peter Swanson
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook