SailNet Community - View Single Post - SW Florida Boat Choices/Advice
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2002

kaweeka is on a distinguished road
SW Florida Boat Choices/Advice

I have gone back 2 years worth of posts to find my answer but still haven''t. I am looking for the usual insightful, honest advice I''ve come to expect from the list members...eventhough this is my first post I''ve been reading for a while. So....here goes. I live in Cape Coral, Fl where the average water depth is less than 6 feet. My canal regularly gets less than 5''6" so this is the limiting factor. I had a Catalina 30 with the fin keel and loved it but the 5''3" was a problem ONLY in my canal. Great sailing otherwise. I need to be able to leave the dock. My wife and I are occational cruisers but have been extending out abilities. We now enjoy the keys, Marquesa''s, and would like to start some greater distnces like the Bahamas, maybe crossing the gulf to Isla Muheres and down to Central America and along the eastern seaboard.
We are looking into the 36 foot range with a budget of <$65,000 , draft <5''0", good history and sailing charicteristics and not older than 1976. The pearson 365 has found its way to the top of the list for several reasons ( some rational some not) but I need help from y''all to objectively consider other boats that would fit this citeria. I''m not well versed on all the ratioos and ratings but can understand the basics. I''ll consider any advice helpfull and use it in my quest for the NEXT boat.
thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook